Monday, July 14, 2008

Hurray for Mirena!

Today I got my IUD inserted. This morning, just a few hours ago, and I feel great. A little cramping upon insertion, but I rode my bike home afterward and feel totally normal and fine.

Now I have 5 years of the best birth control money can buy and a lot less to worry about. They say my periods will regulate over the next year and could stop altogether (hopefully). I always liked getting my period, because the alternative was too horrible to think about. It was a reassuring pain in the ass. At least I knew I was NOT pregnant if I was on the rag. Now I will have to trust my little R2D2 friend, the vaginal squid that battles sperm and all it's potential.
I have a feeling that I won't miss Aunt Flo's visits from Redbank too much.

Many monogamous women I know are choosing this IUD option for birth control. Some non-monogamous women I know have it too and I wonder if it is very very tempting not to use condoms, or is the fear of disease enough to motivate condom use? It will be for me. For now -at this moment, week, month?? I am monogamous, and if I choose to bang a new man, I'm definatly wrapping that sausage.

2 comments:

  1. My ex had an IUD prior to us meeting-it was,as I recall,great to be able to make love unhindered by a condom or fear of an unwanted pregnancy.We were of course in a mamonogamous relationship at that time.I do recall though being asked at one point it I could "feel it" during deep penetration which she so loved-I couldnt,to which she seemed quite relieved.So for me and Ruth,at that time, it really enhanced our sex life and we became much closer sexually and emotionally as a result.With a new partner in these times I think a condom is of course a prerequisite to any new partner. Ivan.England.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most women with IUDs still ovulate. Maybe you can keep track of your non-pregnant status by monitoring your vaginal-mucous cycles?

    Pinch some vaginal mucous between your thumb and index finger, then open them. If the mucous makes a strand, you're near the ovulating point of your cycle. If the mucous is tacky instead of stringy, you're at some other part of your cycle.

    Actually, ovulation is why I chose the Pill over IUDs. The idea that fertilization can still happen, but the zygote has no where to land, freaks me out. On the other hand, I would love to have my natural, cyclical sex drive back.

    ~Rachel

    P.S. My roommate cannot say enough good things about Mirena.

    ReplyDelete